Custom Search

FoodBuzz Advertisements

Monday, March 2, 2009

Vintage Bulgaria

MyRatings: 3 Stars

Cuisine: Bulgarian
Location: Hill Side, Tangjung Bungah, Penang
Non Halal
RM40-50 per person

This is a new place just recently opened by a Penang local who married a Bulgarian wife.

It has a bar and full serviced restaurant serving Bulgarian food. The deco and ambience is nice. Kinda look and make you feel you are in a Bulgarian castle. Two levels. The upper deck has the bar while the lower dek is for mainly dining and more cozy.

A lot of waiters. The bar is well stocked and you can either dine in the bar area or a mini "basement"/lower deck. Basically I prefer the lower deck coz the ambience is cozy there but because we did not make a reservation, we were sitted near the toilet and stairs leading to their office. Bummer!
The menu has the standard choice of salads, soups, mains and dessert. plenty to choose froom. Hey it even have my favourite Ceaser's Salad. Price starts from RM10+

I had Chicken Spindle (chicken breast wrapped in ham and cheese). [RM22+]Hey, isn't this sounds like Chicken Cordon Bleu? Well the senior waitress recommended me this after I said no to her first suggestion which is a beef dish. Well I am a non beef eater if you must know.

I ordered Pork Spare Ribs [RM28+] for my wife, knowing she likes ribs a lot. Both dish comes with vegetables. We also ordered a Chicken clear soup [RM10+] from the entry with bee hoon to share.

It took a while for our food to arive but we were not in a hurry. I wish they served us some dinner bread coz I see there a side plate on our table but we waited in vain. Where is my dinner roll?!? What's the side plate for if they are not serving dinner rolls???

The food came. The chicken is good (really like Chick Cordon Bleu) but I have some comments about the Pork Ribs. We were expecting juicy, moist, tender and succulent ribs but we we ate was a dry, boney, tough and chunky ribs (4 pieces). What a disappointment! The soup was OK.

The service was OK. The waitress came and asked how's our food was, I did not sare to coment on the pork ribs. Perhaps, that's how they prepare ribs in Bulgaria. The waiters were courteous but I guess they try very hard to give a 5 star dining experience with they catchy red & black uniforms but I see some areas of improvements. First, I did not get my dinner rolls. This is very important! Cost almost next to nothing but it is one critieria to be a full serviced restaurant. Second, the entry and main cutlery is already set out like it is already buffet style eatery They did not bother to set the table according to the food ordered. The soup spoon came out with the soup. Third, is the dammed wooden floors. Look nice but makes a lot of noise when they are walked on especially when there is a lot of waiters. Irritating for such a restaurant that is trying hard to sell the dinning experience.

Overall, go try it out. Good ambience and good food generally

Call 04-8981890 to book a table.
Let's see what other foodie's review on the restaurant:-

1 comment:

  1. I would like to try this place. I adore Bulgarians in many aspects.

    Yeah, I've been surprisingly disappointed with pork ribs at certain places. You just have to find the right ones.

    ReplyDelete

Find out what celebrities are consuming to stay young & healthy!

Find out what celebrities are consuming to stay young & healthy!
Brazilian Cupuacu Fruit - Nature's No.1 Superfood

Branded!

Penang Has It All

Custom Search