Custom Search

FoodBuzz Advertisements

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Tai Buan Teo Chew Porridge

My Ratings: 4 Stars

Cuisine: Teo Chew, Chinese
Location: 173 Muntri Street, Penang (Corner of Muntri and Leigh Street, nearby Red Cafe)
Non Halal
RM12-15 per person

I came across this place by accident/chance. My original intention was to have dinner at Red cafe along Leigh Street. I did not want to park inside Red Cafe car park which I think not worth pay the RM2 parking, so I cruise along the back at Leigh Street. There was not parking right in front of Red Cafe so I had to park a little further.

As I got out of the car, I noticed there was crowd of people in front of a shoplot. Curiously, I checked it out and to my amazement, there is a cart inside the shop selling good old Teo Chew styled porridge. What a pleasant surprise!

So Amanda and me decide to give this porridge stall a try. We ordered all the "must haves" for a Teo Chew porridge which is the most important......Succulent, fatty braised pork belly and then followed by pork ears, preserved vegetables, salted duck egg, pork inerts, bean curd and 2 portions of porridge each. One portion is to eat immediately while the other is left to cool and when by the time the first porridge portion is finished, the second portion would be at the right temperature

Asking around, the stall has been operating for more than 15 years. It is a family business, started with the father and then passed down to son and assisted by mother and a few workers. This restaurant is definitely old styled. Simple, no frills and selling porridge from 6pm till 10pm everyday except Sunday. Steeped in tradition, this stall enjoys a constant flow of loyal customer although eating porridge nowadays is no longer cheap. Our bill came up to about RM30 for two including drinks. So next time, if you are feeling heaty or having less appetite, head down to Tai Buan Porridge for a refreshing comforting old school porridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Find out what celebrities are consuming to stay young & healthy!

Find out what celebrities are consuming to stay young & healthy!
Brazilian Cupuacu Fruit - Nature's No.1 Superfood

Branded!

Penang Has It All

Custom Search